Contact Us for help
Follow on Facebook Follow on X Follow on LinkedIn Follow on Spotify Follow on iTunes
Join the Planning Geek Facebook Group

Meaningful start notice from LPA

When an LPA senior planning officer on behalf of the authority issues a written (email) meaningful start notice to an applicant and agent. Can that applicant be told by the same senior LPA officer much later that a mistake by the LPA officer had been made and the 'meaningful start' written notice no longer applies. Furthermore to receive a 'meaningful start' approval again some 'reserved matters' requirements must be completed. Note: the applicant was not considered to be at fault whatsoever & he is informed that a meaningful start means the same as  a lawful start. Is there case law on this matter.

• Administrators

Great question!

My view is that if planning is not extant, then those conditions that require to be dealt with before a material start must be completed prior to it being extant.

If this was a certificate of lawfulness confirming that the planning was extant, then that is probably a different matter.

I am not aware of any case law to support this theory however. If others know of any they are welcome to jump in. 

I appreciate that this is not the reply you desired.

More details on a site being extant can be found here