Contact Us for help
Follow on Facebook Follow on X Follow on LinkedIn Follow on Spotify Follow on iTunes
Join the Planning Geek Facebook Group

Listed Commercial Building - Residential Planning

Hi there,

Hoping you can help us...

We are looking at buying a property that we would like to use as a residential home.  We've not vistied the property yet and our knowledge is limited.  The property is in Devon, it's the tail end of a high street, with a solicitors next to us, a bar and a few shops - most empty

The building is Grade 2 listed (georgian town house in style).  3 Floors - at the the moment the ground floor is commercial with a maisonette above.  The current owner has put in plans to convert the building in to 2 flats above the shop - this planning is going through the motions, no decision has been made yet.  Before the current owners, the building was previously completely residential, we don't know how long it has been classed as a shop - the current owner change the use so that she could run a florsit from there

We don't plan on doing any structural work as the ground floor is just two separate rooms with a toilet building coming off the back

Is it possble to tell how "easy" it would be to convert this through planning - is there anything in what I've said that would indicate the answer would be a complete no

Many thanks for your help

Claire

Edited by Claire Mitchell
adding description of area

• Administrators

This will require planning permission. Without knowing the property it is hard to guess as to the likelihood.

However I would like to think there is a reasonable chance of success. 

It will also need listed building consent.

If you are interested, you are welcome to book a Zoom session with myself to discuss. https://planninggeek.co.uk/zoom

Whilst there is a cost element, we fully credit the amount if you use Planning Geek to submit the application.